Saturday, December 3, 2011

Accomplished...!

I had a night out on the town last night and so I didn't take the time to blog.  It's my excuse, take it or leave it...


Work ended on a bit of a sad note yesterday.  One of my little guys decked another one of my little guys in the eye while waiting for the bus.  Apparently there is a big ordeal behind the act of violence that I will be hearing more about on Monday.  But, the act itself is at once troubling and a reminder of the difference I've made.  


Lemme 'splain.  


The kid who did the decking (we'll call him 
"Slugger") has had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOO*breath*OOOOOOOOOOOOOONG history of disruptive/destructive behavior.  He has a rough home life (I kinda want to strangle his mother--sometimes I lean toward violence myself). He is severely lacking in basic social skills.  AND, to further complicate the issue, he has the MOST tender little heart I've EVER encountered in a 10 year old.  So, naturally, I love him.  He has the biggest place in my heart.


ANYWAY, he has been doing SO WELL in my class this year!  Yes, he still throws fits and shuts down when he doesn't get his own way.  Yes, he still acts incredibly impulsively.  Yes, he still makes noises randomly.  Yes, he still shouts out inappropriate things at other children.  Yes, he still hides under the furniture.  But, he has NOT had major meltdown.  And he likes coming to school.  He likes being in class.  And he smiles all the time.


So, when I heard that Slugger wailed on another of my babies, my heart just broke.  For both of them.  Maybe a little more for Slugger than for Slugged.  Because I know that Slugger didn't act out of boredom.  He felt provoked.  Maybe it wasn't a big provocation.  Maybe it wouldn't have been a provocation to anyone else.  And that will not be taken into account when punishment is doled out.



I do realize, however, that this is not the end of things for him.  We've hit a little speedbump--a little reminder that there is still work to be done.  We've also found a place to reflect back and see the progress that has been made.  And I am grateful to know (without any sense of pride in my own accomplishments) that I have had a part to play in that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment